Friday, December 2, 2011

Capitalize... but WHY?!?!

When I was living in Germany I was asked to speak in church. I was excited for this opportunity but my German was not very good, I'd only been living there for a couple months. So I decided to take the easy way out... I wrote my talk in English and had my friend help me translate it into English. The night I went to my friends house we sat at her couch and I began to write as she translated. Every couple of words she would stop me and say "Capitalize your nouns!" In German when you write you are suppose to capitalize every noun... but I didn't see the point, I'd be reading the paper, no one else would be reading it, and I just want to get this done. But ever time I tried to sneak a noun by... she'd catch it and say "Capitalize your nouns!" I was aggravated a bit, I was in the nature of "not caring" so she kept telling me to capitalize my nouns until I decided I had no choice, i had to capitalize my nouns. So I did, not understanding the point to it but doing it anyway. As I progressed in my German I realized that when I would write I would constantly remember "Capitalize your nouns!" Thanks to my friend Melanie it was easier for me to follow this rule than it probably would have been. Now I'm not saying that i was perfect after that, but I was working towards establishing a good and important habit.
How many times have we been commanded to do something? To read our scriptures, pray, go to church, follow our Savior? Sometimes in the moment not following a commandment when you don't think you need to seems like no big deal, but when you realize you have to follow that commandment later will it be easy or something trying? We all mistakes, Heavenly Father realizes that and so he's given us the opportunity of repentance, but why lean on someone when you can fix it yourself? I know that we have commandments for a reason, whether we realize why at first or we don't have a clue at all... they are important. I challenge you to think of those commandments you may not be following that you should be... now think of how you can follow them... whether you know why you should! Be Patient in Keeping the Commandments. The Lord will bless you eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment