Monday, September 5, 2011

Working Hard... or Hardly Working?

I was flying home from Germany this last May and right when I landed I started one of the busiest weeks of my life... not only had it been two straight days since I'd slept, but I was on a sleep schedule that was 9 hours ahead of Los Angeles... and this was only the beginning. Right when I got off the plane it was go, go, go. My sister was getting married and we had a lot to get done. During the next few days it was trying to stay awake, setting up for her reception, and family time. Not to mention I was still jet-lagged. 

By the time her wedding came around... the day never seemed to end... but once it was over the going didn't stop... we had a family job the following day in Central California, so after a 4 hour drive both ways, three days straight of work, and a lot of junk food. I was roasted. I was ready to sleep for the whole next week. I hadn't even had time to unpack my bags and I'd been home a week. 

So after I organized my stuff, took a shower, and ate... I slept, and I slept, and I slept... then I ate again. At this point it hadn't even been 24 hours since I'd started my veg and I was dead tired of doing nothing. For goodness sake there was plenty to get done, I didn't have much time before I would be leaving on my mission and I was sitting on the couch drinking Jarritos Lime Soda and eating peanut butter pretzels from Trader Joe's.

I realized that during this time I had fallen into the deep pit of "Hardly Working"... and oh how I wished to find a ladder so I could climb out. How often do we find ourselves "Hardly Working"... sure we work all day and then come home, but do we use our time wisely or do we sit in front of the Television for a few hours to unwind. 

Christ said: “I must work the works of him that sent me” (John 9:4)

Have we accomplished what the Lord has asked us to do? Are we working hard to maintain a solid testimony or are we relying on the words that inspired us a few months ago? Nourishing our faith is constant... and critical. It you don't milk a cow every day... you don't get milk... it's as simple as that:

No comments:

Post a Comment